Wednesday, 8 February 2017

Book Trends You're Tired Of - TOP 5 WEDNESDAY!


Welcome to a new Top 5 Wednesday!

This week's topic is one that really got me thinking: What trends do I not like in publishing? I tend to just avoid things I do not like, to the point I even forget they exist (otherwise I just get mad if I happen to remember them), so I had to dig a bit around my mental vault to bring these out.

Most of these are related to YA literature, since that is what I read the most and tend to keep up with when it comes to releases, but not all, and some cross over to other areas of publishing.


Let's get rid of some rage, shall we?

1. Love Triangles

If I could kill a trope with my own bare hands, I would make sure this one was removed from this earth as quickly as humanely possible. From the way most YA books include this trope, you would think that everyone and their mothers suddenly find themselves with two love interests at the same time, and they cannot come to an easy decision regarding who they want to be with (because, you know, those pages where you don't have plot to develop don't fill themselves).

I have had a long standing hate for this trope, because 90% of the time it is used instead of a plot and it makes absolutely no sense. It is very rare that an author can actually pull this off in a way that is satisfying, but I would sacrifice even those for the sake of never seeing this geometrical form in books ever again.

2. Romance in Everything

Why does every single book have to feature a romantic relationship? Unless you are writing, you know, a ROMANCE novel, it is not a mandatory bullet point you have to hit to appease to the masses.

I have nothing against including romance in other genres (I quite like reading it actually, if its properly done), but my problem is with how it overpowers the plot in a lot of cases. Why does the heroine/hero need to have a love interest at all times? Real life people are not in relationships for 100% of their lives, and so seeing that in cases where the characters have way worse things to worry about (like, the end of the world) tends to annoy me to no end.

Where my single protagonists at?

3. The 'Girl'

This, surprisingly, does not happen as much in YA, where it would actually make sense. For the past couple of years, and especially since the release of 'The Girl on the Train', there has been an influx of titles featuring the world 'Girl', when the protagonists are often women in their 30's-40's.

What is wrong with the word 'woman'? I have yet to see a book with 'Boy' on the title when it does not refer to an actual child/teenager, so why are publishing people so hellbent on using that word?

It's annoying, it's stupid, and it makes the feminist in me mad.


4. Special Editions Galore

I of course understand this from a business point of view, but as a reader I cannot fathom this recent trend of having several special editions of the same book.

Either it be different covers, or the addition of special content that is scattered throughout different retailers (and which most of the time make such editions unavailable to be acquired outside of a specific country), the publishing industry seems to be riddled with these lately.

As much as I might love a book, I will not spend money on multiple copies for the sake of a few extra pages of content. The limited availability of this content to all readers of the book is another thing that bothers me in this case, and sometimes it makes me think that money matters more than the reader's satisfaction.

5. The Covers of Nakedness

This is a very specific trend of the romance genre, which has lived for a very long time and I doubt will ever fade. Show me a romance novel cover, and there will undoubtedly be at least one mostly naked person on it, and probably engaging in some sort of physical act with someone else.

Honestly, go google 'romance covers'. You will see my point.

While this, again, is something that I can understand from a business point of view (if it has worked for decades, why change it?), but when it comes to these romance novels crossing over to other sub-genres, the cover will tell you nothing of the plot. People tend to judge books by the cover quite a lot, and seeing naked people on every single book just mashes them together.

I have forgotten how many times I have read such a book and been surprised by how good they were and how much they had to give outside of the romance aspect. Other genres do an effort to show something plot related in their covers, but romance just tends to stick with the 'easy sell' stuff.

---------------------------------

What about you? What trends in publishing are you tired of seeing?

6 comments:

  1. YES TO THE NAKEDNESS ON THE COVER. No matter how good the story is, if the cover has naked (or shirtless) person on it, I would never ever read it. I don't know why, but I feel really ashamed to read that in public and also get this idea that the book is nothing about romance with bad sexy boys, which I am over with.

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, but YES! Romance in *everything* is exhausting, and then when there's not a romance between two characters, I hate when people get *so* upset about it. FRIENDSHIPS ARE OKAY TOO. And, yesyesyes to strange naked people on covers of books. It instantly makes me want to not pick it up!
    -Monica @ Tomes Project

    ReplyDelete