Friday, 31 March 2017

February/March Wrap Up


If reading slumps are the worst and you know it clap your hands... *clap* clap*

These last couple of months have been the absolute worst reading wise for me. I could barely manage to make myself read the books that I had to for classes, and outside of that I've been either too busy with work or just can't get myself to pick anything to read. Which explains why the blog has been so quiet lately... (I feel like I've been apologizing for this every post I make, but, again, sorry!)

However, I am now officially done with classes for the year and just have to push through my deadlines in the next couple of weeks and I will see myself with a lot more time to read! I've been craving some fun reads for a while, so hopefully this slump will go away, because my TBR won't tackle itself.

So, during February and March I only managed to read five books (hence why I waited until now to make a wrap up, because it's already really sad to look at as it is). Overall it was a more positive than negative balance on my opinions, so at least there's that!


Other Reads:
  • 'Tess of the D'Urbervilles', by Thomas Hardy (1/5)
God, I hated this book. I mentioned it on my January Wrap up, since I literally spent months suffering my way through it, but it got to a point I just had to give up for the sake of my sanity. I just ended up looking up the ending and moving on to something else.
  • 'Sightlines', by Kathleen Jamie (4/5)
A non-fiction collection of travel related essays, I enjoyed this book a lot more than I thought I did. I was only meant to have read two of the essays for one of my modules, but I ended up binge reading the entire thing in two days, which was a welcome blessing in the middle of my current slump. If you are interested in nature and issues of animal and environmental conservation, this is a very interesting read!
  • 'The Man Who Planted Trees', by Jean Giono (4/5)
This is a very short but very interesting story about a man who takes it upon himself to spend his life planting trees in a remote, undesirable location. Taking place across both World Wars, it was very inspiring reading something about how one person can make a difference in our environment and how every little action matters.
  •  'Man and Boy', by Tony Parsons (3/5)
This was one of those cases where if I wasn't reading the book to study it for a particular reason, I would probably end up hating it. This tells the story of a man who cheats on his wife and then is left to raise his five year old boy on his own, and from the framework of the theories on masculinity I was studying it was very interesting, but if I'd read it for pleasure then I might have just thought this was filled with misogynistic assholes.
  • 'A Tale for the Time Being', by Ruth Ozeki (2/5)
This started off amazingly, but then it started dragging halfway through, and I felt somewhat cheated out of what it promises to be at the beginning. This book tells the story of a Japanese girl who wants to write down the story of her great grandmother before she commits suicide, along with the point of view of the woman who finds that diary years later on a Canadian island's coast. Still a unique story regardless, it might be more enjoyable if read slowly than having to rush through it for a class like I did...

1 comment:

  1. I've been meaning to check out A Tale for the Time Being. I guess I'll have to plan it for a time when I'm feeling motivated enough that a little bit of a drag to the end won't discourage me.

    ReplyDelete